Monday, November 13, 2006

Makan: Fried Hokkien Mee @ Food Republic, Wisma Atria

Anyone who knows me, will shake their head - in agreement - when I give a big grin with eyes glazed over saying:

oOoo...NOODLES!

I love noodles. Well, all noodles except those liver-herbal kinds, or noodles with other kinds of funny stuff floating around that you can chew on unexpectedly. I hate noodles with meat that has bones. ugh.

But anyway,

Hey. I've been known to be able to eat from the same noodle store 5 days a week for years.

Years.

Even if you don't particularly love noodles, it's hard to dislike the cousin of the char kway tiao

Introducing a dish that's often sold along side the heart-clotting kway tiao:



Ok ok...so this entry isnt about a "classic"ie; from a famous store. I don't even know whether this store i'm talking about sells noodles from a recipe which originated from some famous family run store from back-dunno-when at some obscure corner of SG.

all I know is it's just one of the vendors at the Food Republic on the top floor of Wisma Atria.

On a busy day, the queue snakes along an immensely crowded food court, and your noodles come piping hot. It also comes served on a whitish leaf (banana?), which is how Hokkien Mee was originally packed to go. (I think there are still some stores around SG which does this, though I can't say that there's many. If I remember right, there's a killer Hokkien Mee ,served packed in the above mentioned leaf when ordered to go, somewhere in bedok south).

However when I last visited the store, it was on a weekday early evening (3pm lunch. I had a half day :) ), the noodles were pre-fried I think, because it took an amazingly fast time for it to hit my plate and make payment. I suppose, they took pre-fried noodles and refried them.

It was hot, but it tasted burnt. So it wasnt too good. Which was a pity, because the crowd, or lack of it rather, was excellent to relax and unwind and just enjoy the food without rushing off to work - and to top it off, we got a nice window seat to match. But inspite of the slight burnt taste, I find my self chowing down, because for some reason of another, the greasy noodles were quite fragrant.

Maybe I was just hungry.


All in all, a nice meal to have, and i probably had a one off-fluke of a badly fried dish. Either that, or the noodles only taste better during peak hour (fresher mah!) , but the crowd is a real bitch at the food republic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home