Saturday, April 15, 2006

This is weird

Kindergarten kids help to run cafe
By Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

It's not all play at childcare centres.

One centre has its pre-schoolers running a restaurant - from serving the food to making sure the money earned adds up at the end of the day.

Raffles Town Club's Kinderland Child Care says the aim of its Bistro Cafe is to prepare the children for life in the real world.

Chew Wee Pin, Kinderland Child Care's principal, said: "This little entrepreneurial project is mainly for the K2 children, in preparing them for the real life when they go out of Kinderland to the primary school. It's a total process where the children learn how to communicate well with people as they act as waiters and waitresses, and how they serve people as chefs."

Even though the children would not be getting a hard time from their customers who are their parents, they really do know what they are doing.

They were trained in customer service at an actual restaurant.

So far, Bistro Cafe is well received by the children who appreciate this tiny peek at career possibilities.

Joshua Lim, a kindergarten 2 student, "I want to be a waiter when I grow up because I like to serve people."

Beverly Tay, another kindergarten 2 student, said: "I want to be a cashier so I can collect money."

The principal of the childcare centre says the plan is to carry out this activity regularly for its second-year kindergarten students. - CNA/ir


HAR??!!?!

kaos. Whatever happened to dreaming about becoming a doctor or a scientist or a writer or a astronaut....

not that there was anything wrong with being a waiter. (But if u ask any waiter, they dont exactly wanna be a waiter their whole lives lah)

And the real world = pri school ??!?!?!??!

when the primary schoolers opened their ownn cafe, it's about breeding the entrepreneurial spirit and how to manage a business. that i get, because those kids are older, and their thought processes are different.

but this, this is just funny lah, doesnt sink well with me. I wonder how kids at that age are processing the whole thing in their lil' heads. I just don't know how this gimmick is supposed to prepare kids for the real world primary school. perhaps its the dealing with money part ??? I dont think dealing with ones own parents who think u're so cute trying to play waiter would be providing training in customer service.

think sg got no news liaos.

just so off lah...
like how our old sch principal used to say - a mans reach must go beyond the moon, or else what is heaven for? (ie; have high ambitions so that you can go further)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home